Say Yes, to go on a community service exchange programme
Apply now for a full five-month scholarship!
Who can apply?
The program is open to youth from Mozambique, Malawi, South Africa and Zambia between 18 and 25 years who are or have been volunteers in their community.
- Citizen of the country participating in the current SayXchange cycle (must be resident in country of origin at date of selection) and having lived there for the past 6 months.
- In possession of a valid travel document / passport that is valid for the duration of the exchange and 3 months thereafter.
- Must be culturally sensitive and competent.
- Male and females are encouraged to apply.
- Must be no younger than 18 and no older than 25 years of age.
- Must have track record of leadership.
- Evidence of previous involvement in volunteering organisations/activities in local community.
- Must be an articulate speaker, confident, assertive and contentious.
- Must articulate their vision and what they want to achieve clearly.
- Must side with the excluded and marginalised.
- Have knowledge about their own cultures and global community, including current affairs.
- Willing to commit to the vision of regional integration and development of a Southern African identity.
- Must have evidence of sound mental and physical health.
What will you do?
The participants will work for five months as volunteers in community service projects on environmental protection, health, work with migrants, children etc…
Where will you volunteer?
The chosen applicants from South Africa, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia will work in community projects.
When does it start?
The actual exchange will take place from 09 July 2014 to 05 December 2014.
Why should you apply?
This is a unique opportunity to experience another culture, to learn a new language and to widen your horizon.
How can you apply?
To apply, please complete in the online application form and, in the supporting documents section, attach to it:
- Your updated Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- A motivation letter (no more than 2 pages) outlining why you want to go on the exchange and giving your volunteer history,
- Write an essay (minimum 2 pages) answering the following question: What role should the youth play to eradicate poverty in Southern Africa?
In order to complete the application form you will first have to Download, Complete and Upload the following four MS Word forms.
These four forms must be signed and uploaded in order to successfully submit the application form.
- Form D3 - Medication declaration
- Form E1 - Letter to host family
- Form E2 - Letter to host organisation
- Application confirmation
It is also advisable that you read through all the required fields on the form first to ensure that you have all the necessary information ready before you complete the online form.
Should you not wish to complete the online form, you can download the application form, fill it in and return it together with the supporting documentation mentioned above (CV, motivational letter and essay) via e-mail, or fax to:
Southern Africa Trust
Fax: +27 11 318 0814
When is the application deadline?
For 2014, young South Africans, Malawians, Mozambicans and Zambians should submit their applications by the 30thof May 2014.